In Acts 11:26, we learn about the origins of the term “Christian.” At Antioch, the disciples were first called Christians, which means “followers of Christ” or “belonging to Christ.” Barnabas and Saul (later known as Paul) spent an entire year teaching the people about Jesus and His teachings. The term Christian signified a distinct identity for the followers of Jesus, setting them apart from the various religious and cultural groups of their time.
Being called a Christian is a reminder of the commitment we have made to follow Jesus and live according to His teachings. It is not just a label but a calling to live our lives in a way that reflects the love, grace, and truth of Jesus Christ. As Christians, we have a responsibility to grow in our faith, to serve others, and to share the Good News of Jesus with the world.
Time to reflect
To apply the message of Acts 11:26 to our lives, consider the following points:
- Recognize the significance of being called a Christian, understanding that it signifies a commitment to follow Jesus and live according to His teachings.
- Strive to grow in your faith through regular Bible study, prayer, and fellowship with other believers.
- Seek to reflect the love, grace, and truth of Jesus Christ in your daily interactions with others.
- Look for opportunities to serve others, demonstrating the compassion and mercy that Jesus showed during His time on earth.
- Share the Good News of Jesus with those around you, helping them to discover the hope and salvation found in a relationship with Christ.
Prayer Of The Day
Lord, thank You for the privilege of being called Christians, followers of Christ. Help us to understand the significance of this calling and to live our lives in a way that reflects Your love, grace, and truth. We desire to grow in our faith and to serve others, just as Jesus demonstrated during His time on earth.
Father, give us the courage to share the Good News of Jesus with the people around us, offering them the hope and salvation found in a relationship with Christ. May our lives be a testimony to Your goodness and the transformative power of Your love. In Jesus’ name, we pray. Amen.
To apply the message of Acts 11:26 to your life, take these action steps:
- Reflect on your commitment to following Jesus and living according to His teachings, considering how you can grow in your faith.
- Engage in regular Bible study, prayer, and fellowship with other believers to strengthen your faith and understanding of God’s Word.
- Look for opportunities to serve others in your community, demonstrating the love, grace, and compassion of Jesus.
- Share your faith with others, offering them the hope and salvation found in a relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Regularly assess your spiritual growth, seeking to continually grow in your faith and reflect the character of Jesus in your daily life.
As Christians, we are called to follow Jesus and live our lives in a way that reflects His love, grace, and truth. By growing in our faith, serving others, and sharing the Good News, we can fulfill our calling and make a lasting impact on the world around us.