In John 3:14, Jesus uses an Old Testament event to illustrate the means of our salvation. The story of Moses lifting up the snake in the wilderness comes from Numbers 21:4-9, where the Israelites grumbled against God and Moses, and God sent venomous snakes among the people as a consequence. However, God also provided a way of healing for those who were bitten: He instructed Moses to create a bronze snake and place it on a pole so that everyone who looked upon it would be healed.
Jesus used this event as an analogy for His own mission on earth. Just as the bronze snake was lifted up in the wilderness, so too would Jesus be lifted up on the cross. By His death and resurrection, Jesus would provide salvation and healing for all who would look upon Him in faith. This simple yet profound truth is at the heart of the Christian faith.
Time to reflect
Drawing from John 3:14, let us consider the following applications to deepen our understanding and appreciation of Christ’s sacrificial love:
- Reflect on the story of the bronze snake in the wilderness and how it foreshadows the work of Christ on the cross.
- Meditate on the significance of Jesus’ words, recognizing that He willingly chose to be lifted up on the cross for our salvation.
- Embrace the simplicity of faith, knowing that by looking to Jesus and believing in Him, we can experience healing and eternal life.
- Share the message of Christ’s love and sacrifice with others, helping them understand the hope and healing available through faith in Jesus.
Prayer Of The Day
Heavenly Father, we thank You for the incredible love and sacrifice of Your Son, Jesus Christ. We are grateful that He was lifted up on the cross so that we might be saved and experience eternal life. Help us to understand the depth of Your love for us, and may we never take for granted the gift of salvation You have provided. Strengthen our faith and empower us to share this message of hope and healing with others, that they too may come to know You and experience Your love. In Jesus’ name, we pray. Amen.
In light of John 3:14, consider taking these action steps to praise God and draw closer to Him:
- Spend time in prayer, thanking Jesus for His sacrifice on the cross and the salvation it brings.
- Share your testimony with someone, telling them how Jesus’ love and sacrifice have impacted your life.
- Study the Old Testament stories that foreshadow Christ’s work, deepening your understanding of God’s redemptive plan throughout history.
John 3:14 teaches us the significance of Christ’s sacrifice on the cross and the salvation it offers. As we meditate on this powerful truth, let us be filled with gratitude for the amazing love God has demonstrated through His Son. May we also be inspired to share the hope and healing we have found in Jesus with others, so they too may come to experience the transforming power of His love and grace.